Sunday, February 15, 2009

Measuring the mastery of customer service at Eyemasters



If you've bought any eyewear at Eyemasters, you've likely received a Customer Comment Card. A few items caught my attention on this questionnaire.



I immediately wondered why the heading of the questionnaire had no spaces.
The grammar of the first question is problematic. I would like to see either the question "How would you rate your level of satisfaction on the following items?" or the instruction "Rate your level of satisfaction on the following:" on the questionnaire.

Two things about the response choices for the first question were rather unique. First, I don't often see the response choice of "unsatisfied" and "very unsatisfied" used on questionnaires. I most often see "dissatisfied" and "very dissatisfied" used instead. Typically there is a middle choice that is a neutral item, such as "neither satisfied nor dissatisfied" but Eyemasters used a "Met Expectations" response choice within the satisfaction response scale on the questionnaire. I don't really understand how that fits. Does that mean that a little "extra" is needed for each category to move from "Met Expectations" up to to satisfaction?

Similarly on the second question, I was intrigued by the middle response choice of "No Opinion" in a likelihood response scale. Many people debate that individuals automatically select the neutral-labelled, midpoint choice when they have not opinion, rather than skipping the question. Eyemasters has clearly labelled its midpoint option as "No Opinion" on the customer feedback questionnaire. However, I guess I expected a neutral option, like "Not sure" instead. Many don't anchor (or label) the response choices for this scale in their questionnaires, by just anchoring both ends with "Very likely" and "Very unlikely" instead.

I personally prefer questionnaires which offer anonymity. Sure, you may say that it is not necessary to include the Rx number or contact information. However, I always look for the items on a questionnaire that provide a hint that a customer can be identified even if those questionnaire items are incomplete. On the questionnaire, I see a barcode. What's in the barcode? Is it simply the store identifier? (If so, that is unnecessary with the "Irving Town Center" clearly identified.) Or, is the customer's account number identified in that bar code? I guess I need one more gadget --- a bar code reader. : )



1 comment:

  1. The questionnaires was funny from Eyemasters! I have already have this experience and hope this be shared with face book!


    Feedback Questionnaire

    ReplyDelete